Thai spiced pork filling for cabbage hand rolls with basil, mint and cilantro.
Yield: 12 Lettuce Wraps
Ingredients for base sauce:
- 1 head Garlic, peeled and chopped
- 8-10 large Thai chiles, finely sliced
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1.5 cups Lime juice
- 1 cup Red Boat Fish Sauce
- 1 cup Blended oil
Add all of the above ingredients into a mason jar. Shake well and let stand at room temperature for 24 hours. Move to the refrigerator after 24 hours.
- 1 lb. Ground (or finely diced) Perry’s Famous Pork Chop leftovers
- 3 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 oz. Garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 large Limes
- 1 head Green cabbage
- ½ large Red onion, finely sliced
- ½ cup Thai basil leaves, roughly chopped
- ½ cup Cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- ½ cup Mint leaves, roughly chopped
- In a large sauté pan over high heat, heat the olive oil and the sliced garlic. Cook the garlic, stirring frequently, until golden brown.
- Add the ground pork and cook for 2 minutes. Deglaze the pan with 4 ounces of the reserved base sauce. Cook for one additional minute and remove from heat to cool.
- Make lettuce cups out of the tender center leaves of the cabbage.
- In a wok or large sauté pan, reheat the larb meat with olive oil until it begins to brown.
- Fold in the onions and 2/3 of the herbs. Transfer to a bowl and place on the platter next to the cabbage leaves. Pour reserved base sauce into a bowl to serve with finished cabbage wraps. Garnish with the remaining herbs and lime wedges.
- To assemble, spoon in the meat mixture to a cabbage leaf, add extra herbs of your choice and drizzle more base sauce over to taste.